Monday, September 22, 2014

Trey's Birth Story

Thursday, July 31st

10:00am: My contractions started. I was in denial at first that they were contractions because I didn't want to get my hopes up.
1:33pm: I started keeping track of contractions.
(To pass the time I watched Enders Game and The Princess Bride with my mom, and brother's.)
4:00pm: I called Aaron and asked him to come home since the contractions were getting closer together and more uncomfortable.
6:00pm: We arrived at the hospital. They put me in triage to make sure my labor was progressing. When they first checked my dilation I was at a 2. Sadly, after two hours at the hospital I hadn't dilated any more than that. So they sent me home.
WHICH WAS THE WORST THING EVER. A total downer. It was easier to deal with the contractions when I knew they were helping me progress. So when I found out that wasn't the case it made it harder to handle the pain.
8:30pm: We arrived back at home. I got in the bath tub and stayed in there for a loooong time. Aaron made me a "throne of pillows" in the living room for when I was done in the bath. I listened to the relaxation station on pandora radio and kept on draining and refilling the tub to keep the water warm.

Friday, August 1st

1:00am: I finally got out of the tub because the contractions were too painful. I went out into the living room where Aaron was sleeping on the throne of pillows. We worked through the intense contractions together. They were painful and really close together. I was scared to go back into the hospital though because I didn't want to be sent home again.
3:00am: We arrived back at the hospital and I found out that I was dilated to a 4. Which meant I could stay! I wasn't sure whether or not I'd get an epidural but at this point the choice was clear. I was exhausted both emotionally and physically. I thought I would be dilated more, so when I learned I was only at a 4, I knew I still had a long way to go and I needed that epidural.
3:45am: I got the epidural. Hallelujah! It was HEAVENLY. I was filled with relief and enjoyed watching the monitor show me when I was having a contraction and not being able to feel it.
6:30am: I had been dilated to a 5 for a while so the doctor broke my water to speed things up.
7:50am: Breaking my water didn't speed things up so they gave me some pitocin.
8:40am: I was still dilated to a 5.
9:40am: They checked me again and I was still a 5. This was taking forever! But hey, at least I couldn't feel a thing.
11:47am: They checked me again and I was finally dilated to a 7! Wahoo!
1:00-2:00pm: By this point I was tired and I threw up a few times. I was ready to have this baby. As Trey was getting ready to come out I could feel the pressure of him in my lower back. (At this point I was dilated to a 9.) So much pressure that it felt like I had to poo. And we had a conversation that went something like this:

Me: "I feel like I have to poop the biggest poop ever!"
Nurse: "And it's the cutest poop you'll ever have."
Aaron: "We'll keep this one . . . I've never been more excited to have you poop and watch you do it."

Remember were referring to the baby, I'm not actually going to poop. Sorry if that grossed you out but that's just the cold hard truth. :)

2:45pm: Aaron started playing  "Final Countdown"
3:58pm: I finally started pushing! By this time my epidural had worn off so I could feel A LOT. I do think that being able to feel helped me push. Aaron was the best birth coach I could have had. He was my rock and was what got me through it all.
4:40pm: The doctor finally came in. He gave me an episiotomy and all I can say about that is OUCH!
4:51pm: Trey was born! I was so emotionally and physically exhausted, it was such a relief. I remember saying over and over to Aaron, "We did it! We did it!"



Holding my baby in my arms for the first time was pure magic. It truly is amazing how much you can love so instantly. I love that little boy with all my heart and then some.


Trey Taggart Mitchell
8lbs, 3oz & 20 inches


Right after I had Trey I remember saying, "I never, ever want to do this again." And I was serious. Giving birth was the hardest thing I ever had to do. And my recovery was really rough too. It's funny though because now I look back on this experience and think, "eh, it wasn't that bad. I could do it again." And that my friends is how God helps women have more than one baby. ;)

Now it's time to enjoy some pictures. . . 






















2 comments:

  1. Totally made me cry :) I'm so happy for you, and I can't wait for our little guys to be BFFs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO happy for your little family!

    ReplyDelete