Monday, September 8, 2014

New Office Chair

Reposted from former blog, Just Add Sparkles.


Aaron and I sometimes don't see eye to eye when it comes to furnishing/decorating our house. The latest disagreement was about an office chair.

He's been studying for the GMAT (he takes it this week! eeek! wish him luck!) and he studies in the office and since we didn't have an office chair he would pull in one of the dining room chairs to sit on. They have no cushion and aren't very comfortable. So Aaron went to Walmart and bought a big ol' ugly black office chair.

I was not okay with that. The office is also my craft room where I want inspiration and creativity to flourish and that chair just totally ruined my vibe. It was ugly and bulky and did I mention it just looked bad? But it was practical and that was Aaron's argument. (Sadly, it was an argument that had merit.)

Luckily the chair didn't come with the hardware so he had to take it back. Whew. Here was my window of opportunity. I was determined to find practical and beautiful in a chair. (And cheap which was another stumbling block.) Something comfortable for him and good looking for me.

So look what I bought at the DI for $8.00 . . . .


So you're probably thinking, "What the heck Tayler? That thing is hideous!" But before you start singing "U-G-L-Y you aint got no alibi" hear me out. Look at the potential. Metal frame equals perfect for spray painting. Simple shapes of the back and seat of the chair equals an easy reupholster job - perfect for an amateur like me. And a total of 8 screws equals the ease to disassemble. 


Cha-ching.

So I unscrewed the cushions from the metal frame. Wiped down the frame and gave it a few coats of spray paint.

Next I tackled the reupholster part. The best way to do this is to follow what the old fabric did. I ripped off the old fabric but noticed where they sewed and used a staple gun and followed suit. I improvised in some areas to make my job easier. And this is what I ended up with . . .


A million times better, right?



Hey look, it's me in the reflection. 

• • • 

As William Morris said (a leader of the Arts & Crafts movement in the 1860's)


And I'm pretty proud that this chair accomplished both!


Enjoy!
Tayler


 photo pin-it_zps32b20063.png

No comments:

Post a Comment